Welcome / Bienvenu

This blog drags together, into one swirling maelstrom of crackling energy, my various wargames interests. There are links on the top right to my other blogs, each more calmly dedicated to one particular gaming universe.

I post on Fridays. The idea is that when I post a painted figure, it stays up for two weeks; a battle report, a terrain project, or a few lines on whatever happens to be the whim of the moment, is up for a week.

The pages at the top of the blog contain historical information on the periods that interest me. They are primarily an aid to my poor memory, and not meant to be in any way exhaustive, nor necessarily correct.

I hope this blog offers you much enjoyment and some inspiration !

samedi 14 décembre 2019

En hommage à mon père / In memory of my Dad

Mon père nous a quitté en septembre de cette année, à l'âge de 75 ans.  Il est parti très vite, ce qui est toujours difficile pour le reste de la famille, mais ce qui est important à retenir, c'est qu'il a vécu toute sa vie en excellente santé physique et mentale, qu'il a vu ses petits-enfants pendant l'été, et que mon frère et moi, qui habitons loin, avons pu le voir à l'hôpital peu avant sa disparition.

Mon père était passionné par les chemins de fer et par le modélisme ferroviaire.  Dans ma prime jeunesse, j'étais un "trainspotter"; aux côtés de mon père, mon frère et moi ont sillonné le Royaume-Uni pour observer des locomotives et cocher leurs numéros dans nos petits fascicules, allant jusqu'à s'introduire à la faveur de la nuit - plus souvent que non avec la complicité active des employés du British Rail - dans des dépôts, pour "spotter" un numéro convoité.

Nous allions souvent aussi aux "model railway shows", pour s'extasier devant les merveilles du modélisme ferroviaire.  Bien sûr mon frère et moi avions notre "train set" dans le garage.

J'ai conservé cet amour pour les chemins de fer - si un jour je gagne au loto, la première chose que je ferai, c'est acheter mon propre train - mais finalement je me suis détourné du modélisme ferroviaire pour m'intéresser à la figurine, un autre monde miniaturisé.  Cela ne m'a jamais empêché, quand je rendais visite à mes parents, de faire tourner un loco ou deux et sa rame de wagons.

Comme pour nous, figurinistes, les modélistes ferroviaires combinent "historique" et "fantastique".  Le train set de mon père était soigneusement recherché, pour représenter l'endroit où il a grandi - Bury St Edmunds dans le Suffolk - et la période de son enfance, c'est à dire, les locomotives à vapeur.  Les petits détails foisonnaient.  L'imagination était toutefois au rendez-vous, car il fallait trouver des excuses pour faire figurer tel ou tel loco ou wagon bien aimé, mais étranger à la région ou à la période. Comme pour nous, l'hérésie était assumée au service de la passion !

Au décès de mon père, mon frère, qui s'intéresse plutôt à l'époque moderne en matière de modélisme ferroviaire, ne pouvait tout prendre, et pour ma mère...disons que c'est un monde bien hermétique !  J'étais attristé à l'idée de devoir tout démonter et vendre en vrac...ainsi est née l'idée de récupérer autant de choses que je le pouvais, pour en faire une table science-fiction et ce que j'espère être un bel hommage à la passion et la patience de mon papa.








Tout ce que vous voyez sur cette table provient de son train set (à l'exception des deux robots AT-43).  Bien sûr, j'ai donné quelques coups de pinceau pour tout faire entrer dans le 25ème siècle, et le charbon a pris les reflets bleutés de quelque étrange minerai extrait d'une lune exotique.  Il aurait eu le sourcil arqué et le sourire amusé devant les étrangetés de ma propre passion, mais je pense que l'idée et le résultat lui auraient plu.

-------------------------------

My Dad passed away in September, aged 75.  He died after a very short and sharp illness, which is hard on the family, but what I think is important, is that he lived his whole life in excellent physical and mental health, that he saw his grandchildren in the summer, and that my brother and I - who live far away - were able to make it to his side before the end.

Dad was in to railways in general, and model railways in particular.  As a kid, I was a trainspotter, hiking all over the UK to jot down train numbers in my Ian Allen train numbers book. We'd sneak into railway depots under the cover of darkness to see a loco we hadn't "got", with British Rail staff more often than not pretending not to see us.  We also went to dozens of model railway shows, and the beauty of the layouts always astounded me.

I've kept my love for trains - if I ever win the lottery, the first thing I will do is buy myself a real train - but as a teenager I moved from model railways to wargames, which is only a short hop. That never stopped me running a couple of "specials" on Dad's train set when I visited my parents.

Just like us wargamers, model railway enthusiasts play both "historical" and "fantasy".  Dad's train set was carefully researched, to represent Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, in the days of steam - that is where he grew up and started out as a trainspotter.  There were all sorts of amazing details over the board.  There were also yarns invented to allow the running of a train, a truck or a coach that was particularly liked, even if it should not technically have been there or in that time frame.  Just like we will distort time and space to get that much-loved unit into our army….

After Dad's departure, my brother being into the diesel-era, there was only so much he could use.  As for my Mum, let's say that she has always showed patient understanding of our excentric hobbies, but has no great interest in the matter !  It was pointless just storing it all, but I was really upset at the thought of taking everything apart and selling it piecemeal, until I hit upon an idea.  I would bring home to France all that I could, and use it to build an industrial-style table for science-fiction wargaming.

I wanted this table to be not only in memory of my Dad, but also a tribute to his passion.  Everything you can see on it comes from his train set (urrr sorry, I'm supposed to say "model railway", or my brother will lynch me), apart from the two AT-43 robots of course.  I've repainted stuff to bring it into the 25th century, and the coal has become some exotic lunar mineral glowing blue.  I can just imagine Dad's raised brow and amused smile before the oddities of my own hobby : but I also think he would have liked what I have done with these things that he poured so much patient thought into.

2 commentaires:

  1. Très belle composition que ton papa apprécierait.
    De tout cœur avec toi et ta famille.
    Amicalement

    RépondreSupprimer