Welcome / Bienvenu

This blog drags together, into one swirling maelstrom of crackling energy, my various wargames interests. There are links on the top right to my other blogs, each more calmly dedicated to one particular gaming universe.

I post on Fridays. The idea is that when I post a painted figure, it stays up for two weeks; a battle report, a terrain project, or a few lines on whatever happens to be the whim of the moment, is up for a week.

The pages at the top of the blog contain historical information on the periods that interest me. They are primarily an aid to my poor memory, and not meant to be in any way exhaustive, nor necessarily correct.

I hope this blog offers you much enjoyment and some inspiration !

vendredi 10 avril 2020

Aetulla

This is a really cool Mierce mini that I've had my eye on for some time.  When the need came up for a Stygian sorceror of untold might so that Conan could chop his head off, I immediately thought of this chap.



He is available in two versions, one with cloak and one without; I went for the cloaked and hooded version as I really wanted to try out some OSL on his face, which I figured would be a little easier to do when the area being lit up is virtually completely hidden from natural light.

I don't know if it all came out as intended, but the idea is that the magician has powered up his staff which he is in the process of using to trigger whatever is lurking in that lantern, which is beginning to give off the same sickly green glow.  The lantern is therefore brightest at the bottom, which explains the direction of the OSL.  Human skin seems more responsive to OSL than most other materials, which explains why I painted the face and the underside of the arm that way.  I tested that hypothesis by looking at how traffic lights light up my passengers' faces at night, when my car is sitting in front of them waiting to go !



His Conan profile is here on my dedicated blog.

Unusually for a magic user, you can see Aetulla's muscled torso and that got me whimsically thinking, what do wizards look like when not wrapped in their cloaks ?  I mean, despite being ten thousand years old Gandalf runs or rides back and forth over the whole of Middle Earth, descends into Moria without breaking a sweat and is pretty handy with a sword, so he has to be in damn good shape, and those staves are heavy to lug about.  When he climbs into his pyjamas does he make Bruce Lee wince with shame ?  Does Galadriel have a six-pack ?  Does she have to work out at the elf gym to maintain it or are a wave of her hand and a few words in Sindarin sufficient ?

1 commentaire: