Welcome / Bienvenu

This blog drags together, into one swirling maelstrom of crackling energy, my various wargames interests. There are links on the top right to my other blogs, each more calmly dedicated to one particular gaming universe.

I post on Fridays. The idea is that when I post a painted figure, it stays up for two weeks; a battle report, a terrain project, or a few lines on whatever happens to be the whim of the moment, is up for a week.

The pages at the top of the blog contain historical information on the periods that interest me. They are primarily an aid to my poor memory, and not meant to be in any way exhaustive, nor necessarily correct.

I hope this blog offers you much enjoyment and some inspiration !

vendredi 29 septembre 2023

6mm Moderns : The Infantry

What I do not like painting in 6mm is the infantry.  I cast around from some painted stuff, but couldn't find anything appropriate, at least not without having to buy the painted tanks as well.

I thought about commissioning them, and then balked because of the sheer number of different options, and the fact that if I wanted to do more later, I'd have to go back for a second order.

After testing A Billion Suns with counters, to get a feel for the game before investing in a fleet, I hit on a great idea : use counters for my 6mm infantry.  They are so small, that is basically what they are anyway.

I found some great stuff on the website  juniorgenerals.org, which aims to provide paper soldiers for boys, um young men, like us to play with.

I went for the "top downs" which are less numerous, so I did have to do a little bit of hacking and slashing on the files, but full credit goes to the providers, I did only 0,5% of the labour.


 

Here are the files for BAOR and Russian infantry, should you wish to use them.  If you print them out sing Paint, in portrait orientation, the file name tells you what size to reduce to, to get a 6mm figure.  It is easy to check : just measure one of the laying down soldiers from head to toe.


 

I write on the back of the counter who is what, as the difference is not always noticeable for the heavy weapons.

Have fun !

1 commentaire: