Welcome / Bienvenu

This blog drags together, into one swirling maelstrom of crackling energy, my various wargames interests. There are links on the top right to my other blogs, each more calmly dedicated to one particular gaming universe.

I post on Fridays. The idea is that when I post a painted figure, it stays up for two weeks; a battle report, a terrain project, or a few lines on whatever happens to be the whim of the moment, is up for a week.

The pages at the top of the blog contain historical information on the periods that interest me. They are primarily an aid to my poor memory, and not meant to be in any way exhaustive, nor necessarily correct.

I hope this blog offers you much enjoyment and some inspiration !

samedi 14 octobre 2023

Micro-Armour

I recently posted on my 6mm WWIII micro-armour, but forgot to add the pictures.  I've been back over the posts and added them, but here they are all together.

The BAOR to begin with.  FV-103 Sultan recon vehicles lead the way ready to deploy their infantry into forward positions, and Chieftains with Stillbrew armour follow behind.  The Chieftain is my favourite tank ever, there is something iconic about it.

FV-439s deliver the infantry to the battlefield.  Fox and Ferret armoured cars are useful recon elements, who also have an important role in artillery fire control.  There are also Swingfire and Striker ATGW vehicles.

Here come the Reds !  More modern T-64Bs with ERA are in the fore echelon, followed by older but still serviceable T-62s, one with a KMT mine plough.

A BMP-1 company, accompanied by two BMP-2 scout elements.  Although BMP-1s are not pretty, their conception has always fascinated me, with their low profile, their amphibious abilities, and that strange choice of a low velocity 73mm gun combined with a one-shot ATGW launcher.

My favourite APCs of all time, the BTR series.  3 BTR-60s, 3 BTR-70s (which are very large vehicules, as big as a WWII tank), and a BTR command vehicle. They are accompanied by another iconic Cold War vehicle, the ZSU-23-4, by an ARCV command vehicle, and two 100mm AT guns, which were still a thing in Soviet armies of the 1980s.


 

So there you are.  As already shown, I decided to use counters for the infantry, which both avoids the rather boring paint jobs, and allows any desired combination of infantry assets (just print more !).

I had great fun assembling and painting these forces.  Took me back to my very earliest wargaming years as a teenager, my first purchase of metal figures being 6mm micro-armour for the Israelo-Syrian conflict.  Let's just say that when I made that purchase, the vehicles presented above were rolling off the production line in real life, and there were real worries that the Cold War might actually go hot.

I'll definitely be adding to these forces, no doubt next year.  The Soviets have such a great variety of vehicles, and alongside BRDMs and T-80s, I'd love to build up an entire BTR-70 company, just because.  As for the Brits, I would like to add some towed Rapier AAGW, some light tanks, a platoon of Challenger MBTs, and some Lynx TOW and transport helicopters.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire