Welcome / Bienvenu

This blog drags together, into one swirling maelstrom of crackling energy, my various wargames interests. There are links on the top right to my other blogs, each more calmly dedicated to one particular gaming universe.

I post on Fridays. The idea is that when I post a painted figure, it stays up for two weeks; a battle report, a terrain project, or a few lines on whatever happens to be the whim of the moment, is up for a week.

The pages at the top of the blog contain historical information on the periods that interest me. They are primarily an aid to my poor memory, and not meant to be in any way exhaustive, nor necessarily correct.

I hope this blog offers you much enjoyment and some inspiration !

dimanche 25 septembre 2022

Briskars Trigle

As those who follow this blog know, I've been painting 28mm anthropomorphs for some time, with which I play Rangers of Shadow Deep.  At my local club, a lot of players have got into a French-made game called Briskars.  The figures are beautiful (you really should take a look, and at its sister game, Kharn Ages).  However they are 54mm scale.  Bummer.

However a new faction called the Icthiens - basically sea-creatures - came out recently, and they are often smaller than their Briskar brethren.  They are still around 42-48mm, but the difference, and the fact they are slimmer, is enough to make them blend in with my 28mm, as if they were just very tall races.


 

Anyway, it is just a question of scale.  Scale, fish, gettit ?

Ok, sorry about that.


 

So here is "Trig".  Inspiration for his paint job came from the Malaga fish market (as I always take my paintbrushes on holiday) !  Obviously not on one particular species of fish, but a mix of the characteristics of different ones.

Fish scales are fairly discreet, so rather than paint them all over - happily they weren't sculpted on anyway - I just painted small patches of them.

As for the skin, I thought about gloss varnish to give the still-in-the-water look, but I find that gloss varnish plays havoc with the highlights under bright light, doing its own thing.  Hence I restrict it to small surfaces, such as eyes, or larger surfaces that do have weird reflective qualities, like gemstones.


What do you think, should I have gone for gloss ?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire